What’s in the book?
This book is a great mixture of fiction and non-fiction–the story of Emma (a fictional girl) who raises a bird (based on a real-life bird). Kids will learn about the behavior and personality of European starlings through the fun story, discover what to do if they find a bird, and much more! The book is available on Kindle and in print. Buy the print version and get the Kindle version at 60% off!
“Stella the Starling” has 5 sections:
- The story of Emma, a bird-loving schoolgirl who finds baby Stella at the foot of a tree and takes her home to raise her. Beautifully illustrated by John Kilmer
- The story and photos of the real-life Stella that the book was based on
- Discussion questions to get kids to think about issues such as non-native/invasive species and whether or not they would want to raise a starling
- A vocabulary section that defines the more challenging words in the story
- What to do if you find a baby bird. Did you know that in most cases it is actually illegal to take a bird home?
I thoroughly enjoyed this heartwarming story. Well-written, entertaining, and instructive. If you have children or grandchildren, Stella the Starling will help teach them on so many levels. At the end are teaching tools for critical thinking, vocabulary and what to do if you find a baby wild bird. Five stars, and two thumbs up!
Amazon Customer, Amazon.com review
I’ve been a bird hobbyist since I was about 7 years old, and I really enjoyed this story of little Stella. It has some useful information for children and adults alike on what to do if you find a baby bird, too. This was such a cute and heartwarming story perfect for all ages.
Lynn, Amazon Customer Review
This is exceptionally well written! I like the flow of the story, and my inner child liked finding out at the end that the story really happened. I also like that you didn’t dumb the language down too much. I think it’s a good thing to make your readers stretch a little.
Jon K., New Mexico